My Photo
Name:
Location: Athens, Greece

A thing of beauty is a joy forever
Its loveliness increases
It will never pass into nothingness
But still will keep a bower quiet for us
And a sleep full of sweet dreams and health and quiet breathing
Endymion,J.Keats
End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back and all change to silver glass and then you see it.White shores and beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise
Gandalf
Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition
I.Asimov
Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos ancient and vast from which we spring
C. Sagan
'O me!O life! of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities filled with the foolish;what good amid these,O me,O life?
Answer.That you are here that life exists,and identity;that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.'
W.Whitman

Friday, November 04, 2005

Why do all system upgrades have to be performed on a Friday afternoon? I mean really.......guys........can't it ever be scheduled for a freaking Tuesday?? Don't you have a life?

Anyway as you understand I have a systems upgrade on a Sun cluster due to start this afternoon at 6pm. What a great way to spend Friday evening....oh well..........

But still on the bright side (Scratching head)......I can't think of a bright side;-)

I have a picture in front of me from Zakinthos. I've never been there but the pic is just great and since no summer vacations were in the picture for me this year...I'm in a runnaway mood.


Everyday I wake up and I expect this day to be the one that changes my life.....and I don't mean to win the lottery not that I would mind but....I think of people like Watson and Crick , like Asimov or Einstein or ever Flemming or Armstrong.....and so many others...did they know that someday they would get to be the pioneers? That they would play such a great part in history, that they would contribute...did they feel it?

Never has a footprint been so famous!

God , I long for meaning in my life. Some say meaning comes from family or friends or going out or...blah blah........not meaning for me.....sure all that is important.......but not the actual core of life.

I want to get through the journey having understood a bit more.....but this is not so easy in our way of life. I lust for knowledge and understanding.

Being an agnostic religion is not a meaning in my life. If the universe had anything to do with a higher power that in my opinion was not what is shown through any human religion.

My religion if you can call it that lies in science, for it is only through science that I have ever had any religious experiences. Awe, admiration, meaning.......in the face of the 2nd law of thermodynamics or relativity or .....so many others.

To look upon the stars is to me as essential as breathing.......I remember the epigraph on a tombstone of two astronomers....'We have loved the stars too fondly to be afraid of the night"

Now that is a life......with meaning.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Tatiana said...

Hey! Thanks for the post:) Anyway I hear you, but I have ot say that even though I understand the concept of 'life floats', that is a concept that our own philosopher Iraklitos said in Ancient Greece, that the contact with nature is so relieving and important. However I believe that humans have achieved so much more than just surviving, I believe that life has indeed the purpose of evolving and I believe that a life without meaning is almost no life at all. If humanity survives its adolesence then I believe we can reach the stars. And...I do hope that Ohma does come to me eventually and asks me to ascend......it is the hope that the universe is with meaning that ultimately makes me an optimistic person!

12:11 pm  
Blogger Tatiana said...

Actually I don't think that humanity has a purpose divine or not. I think however there is a sort of purpose in the universe, one that humanity cannot yet conceive due to its mentality. Hehe the part about Star Trek is very very true, many people tell me that I sound and look like Spok (well not entirely just the eyebrow...I usually do that raising-eyebrow thing) so I'm kind of attached to the character. I try to use my mind as much as possible.....the more the better I say not however that I will be devasted if I rest a little...I believe the mind knows when it needs to rest and play and we should allow it that luxury as often as it needs it.

1:58 pm  
Blogger whiteshepherd said...

Crap, I guess I was wrong about the blog post that snared me...maybe it was this one. Lol, I'm a sucker for anything Da Vinci or Macgyver...but the footprint of the moon...foreshadowing? kind of spooky

9:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home