My Photo
Name:
Location: Athens, Greece

A thing of beauty is a joy forever
Its loveliness increases
It will never pass into nothingness
But still will keep a bower quiet for us
And a sleep full of sweet dreams and health and quiet breathing
Endymion,J.Keats
End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back and all change to silver glass and then you see it.White shores and beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise
Gandalf
Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition
I.Asimov
Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos ancient and vast from which we spring
C. Sagan
'O me!O life! of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities filled with the foolish;what good amid these,O me,O life?
Answer.That you are here that life exists,and identity;that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.'
W.Whitman

Thursday, November 10, 2005







So , today was a difficult day. I've been awake for 48 hours, due to a problem at work. As I've said before I'm a telecommunications analyst. At my company we have a VideoCall platform which last night decided that it was a good time to...well.....stop making video calls :) So of course my team was there until the problem was solved.

I came home a few hours ago, its 8:30 pm now here in Athens, and tried to sleep but no luck. I was of course tired but also tense so I decided to get back here:)

Lately I've been thinking of how the Internet ultimately defined my life up to now. I've been on line for 13 years. In that time I've made friends on line, have laughed and cried, have kept in touch with friends who were away, friends I had met on line, people I came to consider as friends even though we never met in person.

Once I even fell in love on line. But I was way to young then so it doesn't count;) (whenever I hear Mobby's Everloving however I remember that time, I've never encountered a more....well intimate way of anyone declaring their love but that email that I received with that song attached .......memories define who we are and I love mine)

And the truth is that now, after time has passed and I look back with a cool look on my face and a melancholy in my heart I realize that my life is so entirely tangled up with the Internet that it is almost as if a huge part of my world is in here.

Don't get me wrong I love to go out, and have fun with friends, and travel (most of all that - travel travel travel...and then some more). But when I'm on line...well I'm home.

Its like if the Internet brings all the people of this world in one big community, where no discrimination is acceptable , where of course there are bad things but so so many good things.

For example I've come to consider Simon Travaglia and his Bastard Operator from Hell a soul mate:) And how can my day begin without a walk around the usual neighborhood of friendly sites?

Every morning I say hello to so many of my friends through Icq and MSN, people that maybe I haven't seen for years, who are in different countries, continents even.

But it is through this marvelous network, this mean of free or almost free at least communication, the Internet that all this is possible. God, I love working in communications, of putting a small brick, but still a brick in this huge network that makes our world a small community.

It is I believe through the Internet that freedom is still possible. Because media can be governed by interests, governments can be bought, movies can be propaganda but TCP/IP will always be there, finding endless alternate routes to bring mine and your words to every mind and heart open to receive them.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tatiana said...

In my worst and darkest moments, when reality seems to crash my mentality my cry has always been 'Please God if you exist or any other Being, let me find the Meaning, let me go home' , so yeah many times I have felt not belonging to this one either.
The thoughts of Asimov and dear dear Douglas Adams - oh how we miss you! - and Salvatore are an escape but also a hope for human evolution and surviving this human adolescence that we are facing. Imagination, a rich imagination, is the quality of an evolved spirit and an intelligent brain.
You're right about the intenet I think. And indeed the hardest possible thing to be on the net is ....yourself....I think that it is only after 13 or so years I have managed to come a little closer to this...

1:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home