My Photo
Name:
Location: Athens, Greece

A thing of beauty is a joy forever
Its loveliness increases
It will never pass into nothingness
But still will keep a bower quiet for us
And a sleep full of sweet dreams and health and quiet breathing
Endymion,J.Keats
End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back and all change to silver glass and then you see it.White shores and beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise
Gandalf
Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition
I.Asimov
Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos ancient and vast from which we spring
C. Sagan
'O me!O life! of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities filled with the foolish;what good amid these,O me,O life?
Answer.That you are here that life exists,and identity;that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.'
W.Whitman

Tuesday, November 15, 2005


So, I love to travel, I've already stated that in a previous post, my dream is to see the world, learn some new things:)

However, I think that today I will write about my own country, Greece. There are many things I don't really appreciate about my country, but they all have to do with politics and economics and ...you know that sort of thing.

But today, this post is about what I love about Greece.

Where do I start?

Athens, the city I live in is the capital city of Greece.And the thousands of years of civilization have definitely left their marks. We actually live in the footprints of Aristotle and Plato and Socrates and Pericles and Hippocrates and Fidias and..so many others. We have the privilege of calling our land the birthplace of democracy.

We wake up in the morning and we're a glimpse away from the Acropolis, the sacred stone of Athens. Every summer we have the Athens Festival in the Ancient Theater of Herod Atticus and also in Epidauros. The place where the Greek tragedies by Aishilos, Sophoclis and Euripidis were performed.

Greece has been my home for 28 years, and even though things have definitely changed in the past there is still the famous Greek spirit, the spirit that makes us love to laugh and cry until our hearts burst, the spirit that makes us start singing all together just because.......the spirit that makes us fight (even at the last minute) for a cause that unites us, the spirit that makes us a bit lazy when it comes to the boring details but still first in line when it comes to innovation or creativity.

I love sunsets in Santorini, and summers well...all over our endless sandy beaches. I love Lakonia, a place in Peloponnisos, the place where my grandfather was from. I lost my grandfather when I was 17, old enough to remember him very clearly but not old enough to have said everything I now wish I had the chance to say.



My grandparents had a really adventurous and somewhat difficult life. They met and fell in love in Syros, an island where my grandmother lived with her family. She was an aristocrat and my grandfather was not, he was there serving the military. They fell in love but lost each other, my grandfather left. Later they met again in Athens where my grandmother, after a family tragedy had come to work. And upon starting their relationship the war took them apart again.

To make the long story short, they managed to survive 2 wars, be together for all their lives , have a wonderful child , my mother whom I love so very much, create a considerably admirable life and always be a role model in every aspect for me.

There are so many things I would like to tell them now. Grandpa I never got the chance to tell you how much I loved you, how much I appreciatted everything you did for me, how you were always the solid rock that my life was based on, how your quality and your mentality and your morality are for me the essence of who I am. So ......thanx.

Greece is for me my family. Everytime I go back to Lakonia I think I'm ......home. With my family.

Everyplace I go, a part of that sunny place , so tiny in the big world is in my heart and maybe a bit of that sun is in my eyes.

The whole planet is my home, our home, our heritage, that tiny blue dot, and Greece is ...well.......my heart:)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tatiana said...

It is so so terribly difficult, so utterly painful to see someone you love decay and die. It is a pain that can be compared to nothing. I have been unfortunate enough to loose all my grandparents within 2 years of my life. I was angry and sad and young. I'm still sad. The pain never goes away. Time wounds all heels:( And yes I do know what I am writting. Do not regret your decision. These images are ....well....devastating. In our memory they overwrite all other previous happy memories, trust me I know. Remember the happy times and regret nothing. Our humanity is so utterly bound with pain that it is our happy memories and the remembrance of love that gives us the strength to carry on. Don't worry. If there is a universal justice and the eyes of truth are always watching you as Enigma sing, then your grandmother would know.
And you know. Stop aching and allow yourself to be relieved. You are only human :-)

9:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home