My Photo
Name:
Location: Athens, Greece

A thing of beauty is a joy forever
Its loveliness increases
It will never pass into nothingness
But still will keep a bower quiet for us
And a sleep full of sweet dreams and health and quiet breathing
Endymion,J.Keats
End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back and all change to silver glass and then you see it.White shores and beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise
Gandalf
Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition
I.Asimov
Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos ancient and vast from which we spring
C. Sagan
'O me!O life! of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities filled with the foolish;what good amid these,O me,O life?
Answer.That you are here that life exists,and identity;that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.'
W.Whitman

Monday, November 28, 2005

So...very rarely do I get to realize the power that lies in the hands of the computer geeks (yeah I'm talking about me).

And pay attention now, not the computer people! Because, com'on every last secretary can call herself an Office Certified Expert (can I throw up now please??)

So, the geeks. More specifically though, the geeks with bastard inclinations. For us the computer world from the tiny cat-5 wire (ok not so tiny) to a cluster farm is the borders to our universe.

These days, where communication is everything, where the ability to communicate is built-in and a prerequisite for any imaginable device, now that whole new protocols are invented in order for communication between systems to be seemingly transparent, these days the computer people are like the old-time shamans.

I must confess, ever since I touched my first keyboard (I was 11) till now the same sense of excitement and joy is with me still. Computers, the Internet, the Net and the whole wired world are for me not just an add-on to my world, but a whole big part of it.

I guess maybe these sense of familiarity with any information-technology system, this excitement caused by proximity to any information-sensitive system is applicable only to us......geeks with bastard inclinations.

I had the chance today to come face to face again with the power of such knowledge and how information can be manipulated by people in such positions. A dangerous yet exhilarating feeling.

No matter how secure a system, how carefully planned a policy, there are always ways to enter the digital fortress......

God, I feel so wicked........:-)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Tatiana said...

Ok MacGyver, I get the picture:) Actually though I was talking about something a bit more wicked than that. I enjoy making stuff out of nothing just as much as the next girl (u know how to survive in the dessert with a paper clip and duct tape);) but sometimes some temptations are just too darn hard to resist...ok so I'm not perfect (yet).......;)

Locks? I cannot pick a lock and always wanted to....I have to work on this talent:P

5:31 pm  
Blogger Tatiana said...

Nope.....your computer is such an easy and innocent target , like stealing candy from a baby....no challenge:)

So no don't worry.....I have much larger things in mind:)

6:02 pm  
Blogger alombar42 said...

whiteshepherd: there's nothing more dangerous than a bored computer geek

Play it again, Sam ;)

11:16 pm  
Blogger Tatiana said...

Heheheheheheh! Μη μιλάς εσύ διεστραμμένο πλάσμα!;)

11:46 am  
Blogger D. said...

"No matter how secure a system, how carefully planned a policy, there are always ways to enter the digital fortress....."

Always?So you claim to be able to penetrate U.S DoD systems? :P.I'm afraid that on the majority of occasions these "ways" exist due to either the negligence of the manufacturer or his intention to equip his product with a "back door" which can come in handy later on.If a system has been correctly designed and its users are trained to avoid "social engineering" I don't think there is *any* way it can be "hacked".But yes,computer and science geeks in general can be very dangerous since as good ole' Francis Bacon said "Knowledge is Power" ;).And who if not the geeks can amass and apply knowledge (sometimes with nefarious intentions bwahahah... )

3:28 pm  
Blogger Tatiana said...

Well I have to disagree. I am not talking about systems that any manufacturer would even dare dream of leaving any backdoors intentionally, or sloppy work.

I am talking about production systems with sensitive data.

And yes , there are always ways.

Intentions ofcourse are a whole other discussion, however yes, knowledge is the only power in my book.

3:36 pm  
Blogger alombar42 said...

Sometimes the bad guys come first, but most of the time, the good guys come first... obviously.
The one with the more funds will always be the winner (although he won't know if it worths it after all).

Yes, someone COULD crack any DoD or other connected system, as long as it worths the risk.

5:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home