My Photo
Name:
Location: Athens, Greece

A thing of beauty is a joy forever
Its loveliness increases
It will never pass into nothingness
But still will keep a bower quiet for us
And a sleep full of sweet dreams and health and quiet breathing
Endymion,J.Keats
End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back and all change to silver glass and then you see it.White shores and beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise
Gandalf
Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition
I.Asimov
Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos ancient and vast from which we spring
C. Sagan
'O me!O life! of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities filled with the foolish;what good amid these,O me,O life?
Answer.That you are here that life exists,and identity;that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.'
W.Whitman

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Ally McBeal


I have a new fascination with a rather outdated TV series , Ally McBeal.

Even though its an older series which is finished I only recently started watching it on DVD. And I so many times find me identifying myself in the characters, mostly Ally, that I just cant get enough of it.

Its not really about sex or relationships only. Its so......I don't know exactly how to describe it, but its so.....full of humanity. In most series or movies a standard moral message comes across, like 'cheating is a bad thing', 'loving more than one person is impossible', 'anyone seeing dancing babies is crazy', 'anyone dancing in the street is insane', 'you can't wear mini skirts in the workplace' etc etc.....

Well Ally McBeal has all sorts of human faults.....and sensitivities.......and is almost impossible to understand most of the time but is also incredibly charming.

Most people who differ in this way are forced to change in order to fit in. And in the process loose their individuality, the joy they get out of the smallest thing, their 'craziness'.

I remember a line Ally said :

"Sometimes I feel I'm being unfaithful to love itself" referring to relationships that are not really that great, relationships or dates that you go to just because its a social prerequisite.

In another episode a laugh therapist told her to find a song to sing in her head to lift her up when she is down, to give her confidence when she lacks it.....

Well this song for me is 'Jump!' the Pointer Sisters version.....it literally makes me dance in the streets, lifts my spirits, makes me happy. But I never realised that until I saw Ally.

And most of all, this character is about being ok being different. Being ok not compromising. Being ok daydreaming. Being ok being weak. And finding strength in that weakness. Finding friendship where you least expect it , like the wife of the man you're in love with but can't have.

And when faced with a dancing baby-fantasy what did she do? Crack up? Go crazy? Loose it? Decide to compromise?

Nope.

She danced with it.........what a woman!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home